Today, June 7, 2010, Steve Jobs demoed the new iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010 in SanFrancisco. iPhone 4 comes out on June 24th
Here are some pieces of information we have been given about the new device:
- iPhone 4
- 24% thinner than current iPhone 3GS
- Mute button looks more reliable (mine always changes in my pocket)
- Front Facing camera
- Two mics
- New Design (the one that was leaked)
- Metal band around the phone is 2 antennas: Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS — UMTS / GSM
- Pixel density increased, now a 960×640 display (existing applications already take advantage of this) — called Retina Display
- An outward facing LED flash
- 326 dpi screen (better than the human eye can see)
- 802.11n Support
- Gyroscope (this is a HUGE deal)
- 720p at 30fps video recording
- 5 Mega Pixel camera upgrade (and some other fancy ways that makes their camera better than everyone elses … of course)
- Extended battery life: 7 hours 3G talk, 6 hrs 3G data, 12.5 days of standby time
- Upgraded video editing — looks almost like a mini Final Cut — quite the large functionality set for a mobile device
- iMovie for the iPhone will cost $4.99 at the App Store (uh oh, charging for their own functionality)
- iPhone OS 4 (of course)
- Video Chat! – over WiFi only, called FaceTime
Don’t forget, today the new iPhone 4G should be announced. I’m hopeful there will be a few other surprises today too!
To follow live coverage check out the following:
This can only mean a few things;
- The new iPhone 4G will be announced (very likely)
- Apple will move away from AT&T (hopefully, I’m getting doubtful though)
I also believe there will be other announcements regarding development environments for HTML5. Given Steve Jobs’ strong HTML 5 support over the previous months, and the recent love/hate relationship (mostly hate) with Adobe — something tells me we will be seeing Apple competing with software for HTML 5.
I just received the official registration email stating:
The center of the app universe.
Apple Worldwide Developers Conference. June 7-11 in San Francisco.
These five days will change how the world does all kinds of things. And this is your chance to be a part of it. Join more than 5000 of the world’s leading developers and 1000 Apple engineers, working side by side to harness the amazing potential of iPhone OS 4, iPad, and Mac. Simply put, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. For you and your app.
Rumors are already out there, some say this will be the announcement for the new iPhone. Some say it will be available immediately.
Wonder if its worth $1,599 to go.