This morning it was announced that the WordPress 3.4 Beta 1 was released.
If you are a web developer who develops custom themes and/or plugins, you should be watching the next release as there are changes very relevant to your work.
Here’s some of what’s new:
- Theme Customizer with Previewer
- Flexible Custom Header Sizes
- Selecting Custom Header and Background Images from Media Library
- Better experience searching for and choosing a theme
And some of the under-the-hood changes:
- New XML-RPC API for external and mobile applications
- New API for registering theme support for custom headers and backgrounds
- Performance improvements to WP_Query by splitting the query (Please test!)
- Internationalization improvements (improved performance and locale support)
- Performance and API improvements when working with lists of installed themes
- Support for installing child themes from the WordPress Themes Directory
You can download the WordPress 3.4 Beta 1 here.