Saw a few articles with “information” on the iPhone HD, and news on a Verizon iPhone. The source of most of the information coming from Wall Street Journal (of all places!) … New iPhone Could End AT&T’s U.S. Monopoly.
The new iPhone would work on a type of wireless network called CDMA, these people said. CDMA is used by Verizon Wireless, AT&T’s main competitor, as well as Sprint Nextel Corp. and a handful of cellular operators in countries including South Korea and Japan. The vast majority of carriers world-wide, including AT&T, use another technology called GSM.
Last week I was at a Verizon store (don’t ask) and I heard an employee say that the iPhone was coming out for Verizon soon (prior to the current leak). The current leak is being sourced to “deep throats in Apple claim that Iphones for Verizon Wireless will be announced soon” – taken from Apple to allow verizon connections.
I doubt verizon would trust a store employee with this type of information unless it were to happen in a few days. I’m skeptical about the information I received myself (or that it was based on more than a passing rumor).
Recently I’ve seen a few postings about the iPhone on Verizon such as iPhone on Verizon? 5 Reasons to be Skeptical.
The 5 reasons JR Raphael points out to be skeptical:
- It’s been reported before – Yeah, so has everything though. I don’t think this invalidates the truth, just means we should put the rumor in perspective.
- AT&T likely still has an exclusive contract – Don’t you think Apple is really trying to get out of that contract? I don’t think the iPod Touch was really that much in tune with the contract — why not find some other way to release an iPhone or renegotiate?
- The rumor ties to the supposed progress wiht the deal directly to Steve Jobs’ absence – This wouldn’t surprise me actually. Steve Jobs’ was one of the reasons Verizon didn’t want the original contract. Maybe there was a personal issue we don’t know about.
- The EVDO engineer jobs are no longer posted at Apple – Wouldn’t you hope if the product were announced soon, those people were already hired a few months back at least?
- Verizon passed on the iPhone once before – yeah, but look at the change to Apple’s revenue stream the iPhone has made? I’m happy to admit I was dumb before, if it means more money now.
Lets hope. I’m not sure if I’d ditch my AT&T contract or not. It’d be a tough decision.