I had forgotten about Firefox’s promise to release browsers more rapidly (following the Chrome rapid release model).
Firefox 5 was released today.
Some exciting improvements in Firefox 5 (mostly just the CSS3 animations):
- CSS3 Animations
- Mobile Firefox supports WOFF fonts
- Security fixes (of course)
- Enhanced Canvas tag support (accepts more, and works better)
- HTTP request performance improvements
- MathML support for embellished operators
Firefox 5 feels more of a “Firefox 4.1” from the UI perspective, but there are a lot of changes towards a more modern browser.
I wonder if Firefox will require the Chrome update distribution system to keep up with competition. Frequent updates are great, but we have to make sure they don’t fragment the browser usage more than is necessary.
Chrome has so far been able to consistently get updates to end users, sometimes without them even knowing.
No comments yet.