In the very near future, I will be posting a series of posts on what you should/shouldn’t be doing to develop a website where the iPhone and iPad are a target demographic. jQuery will figure prominently in the series, as I’ve seen almost all websites now require work with jQuery (or anther AJAX platform).
Let me know if you have any specific questions / concerns, and I’ll be glad to answer them.
Some interesting things to think about:
- How are mouse clicks triggered? (It’s not as straightforward as you’d think)
- How are hover states triggered? (Hint: the iPad has a hover state, but it’s not what you think — remember you only have a single touch, no arrow following your finger)
- What types of gestures can we use?
- What special considerations must we make for CSS?
- What are the ideal screen dimensions? (this is easy, but remember we have multiple devices, and multiple orientations)
- What types of video can we play? (iPad, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone 2G and the original iPhone all have different specifications, it’s not that easy)